Sunday 27 January 2013

CT Scan Results are Good

I'm back at work full time now but on my first week back I got wiped out by the flu that my wife had.  I had to call in sick for two days.  Err...not off to a good start.  But, after a restful weekend, I feel much better.

A couple of weeks  ago I had a follow-up appointment to a Cat Scan of my chest and pelvis area.  This is all part of my five year health monitoring to ensure the cancer does not come back.  So, the results are good.  All healthy in the scanned areas and blood results are good.  I will now continue with follow-ups like that for the next five years.

I can now start playing again since the feeling has returned in my fingers.  I suck.
I have an 87% chance of surviving five years which is just the cancer term for surviving forever.  After five years they consider you cured so I'll take those odds as good odds.

Yep, one year ago I started down this unknown road of chemo/radiation every day for five weeks.

Then I rested up for surgery.  The surgery was big.  It took me two months after the surgery to be able to tie my own shoes.

Then I started adjuvant chemotherapy for six months.  I wasn't able to get out of bed for the first five days.  The chemotherapy was tiring and made me feel weird.  It had a series of strange side effects that I didn't escape until I finished it in late October.

Now I'm back at work and I don't have anywhere near the energy I had before I started down this road.  I've been napping quite a bit after my workdays and I've taken measures at work to minimize exhaustive activity. Aside from the flu, that's helped me quite a bit.

I was told it would take a year to a year and a half to regain my strength and now I'm starting to believe them.

I'm weak, my hair has thinned out dramatically but my waistband has gone the other way, I'm broke, devoid of holiday time and I will owe a lot in income tax coming up due to my reduced pay in 2012 being dished out sans tax removal.

In other words, I'm just happy to be here.  Thanks for reading.

END BLOG

1 comment: