Wednesday 18 January 2012

Cancer Treatment


My cancer treatment has finally started.  After being diagnosed in late November 2011, on January 16, 2012, I finally got hooked up to a permanent chemo flow and radiation zaps five days a week.

The chemo treatment is 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  This is accomplished by piping it into me on a continuous basis.  The chemo itself is a dangerous combination of drugs that kills my veins and will involve a hazmat team if I spill it (except, as the nurses say, I'm the hazmat team).

To run the chemo into me, they've inserted a PICC line (peripherally inserted central catheter line) into the inside of my right bicep and it travels about a foot or so into my body, across my chest to my heart.  Technically, it stops about 3 mm shy of my heart.  The idea is that the chemicals can travel into my body without destroying the veins.  Upon release from this line right at the heart, the chemicals get immediately diluted, sucked up by the heart and distributed throughout my body.

I don't think they need to go everywhere but that's just how blood distribution works.  The chemicals are being used now to make the cells more receptive to radiation.  That's why I'm on chemo.

I carry a bottle of one week's supply of chemo chemicals on my hip like a less-than-enthusiastic jogger from the Running Room.  I wear it everywhere and it interferes with everything.  I eat meals with it, I sleep with it, I shower with it without getting it wet.  It's a pain in the ass. 






Radiation appointments are to be 15 minutes each.  My first radiation was right after they hooked me up with the chemo bottle on Monday.  It took longer.  It took 3.5 hours.  They weren't happy with the tattoo alignment marks I received two weeks before (a repeated CT test which ended up delaying my treatment by a whole week).  I was worried they'd pull the plug and delay my treatment yet again.  I thanked them for their perseverance.

There are many possible side effects with radiation and many with chemo.

One of the big ones is a result of having both chemo and radiation occur at the same time.  It's diarrhea.  A lethal combination of it.  I worry about that one.  Sounds like it'll land me in the hospital if it hits hard.  Yay!




Right now, the treatment has me very tired and queasy.  I haven't thrown up yet but my stomach is often unsettled and I'm sleeping all the time.  If I'm awake, I'm groggy.  I'm at the hospital daily and I asked both the chemo and radiation people about this fatigue and they each blamed the opposite--chemo said it was the radiation and radiation said it was the chemo.  It's probably both.














13 comments:

  1. Hey Pat..... trust you to turn a malignancy into a blog !
    So sorry to hear.... the first I heard was in today's email. Diane and I want to wish you well in this battle.
    May the side effects be tolerable, and the nurses good looking, and if you need an escape, my ice track is in awesome shape.
    Contact me if there is anything at all I can help you with
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat,
    I heard you were doing this to get more women as if the Three you already have weren't enough. It's not the easiest way to do it but then you don't always do things the easy way do you. We're all pulling for you out here in the wilds of South Mountain!

    Alan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Pat...just remember your motivation at the end of this....a new BMW S1000RR!

    Cheers buddy!

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Pat,

    Wish you well in your recovery. Given your optimism, you'll walk all over that &$#*'n cancer! We're all behind you here at the trailer.

    The Trailer trash gang

    ReplyDelete
  5. G'day Pat,

    This Blog is an amazing idea Pat - I really admire your courage to do this! I too had a PICC line for those 'wonderful' 5 weeks of concurrent radiation & chemo; a p.i.t.a. for sure - especially in the shower! W/R to the 'toxic dump' issue - don't be afraid to bug Ont Medical Supplies relentlessly if they don't pick the discards up - they're run ragged admittedly, but you really don't want that junk around the ranch - sure seems strange that they have to poison ya to cure ya!! But it certainly worked for me. Hang in there "Cancer Warrior" ! I'll keep in touch.

    Cheers - Pete G.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this Pat. It is a wonderful idea and a very personal thing to share.

    Kevin S.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go kick some cancer ass Pat! Keep up the positive spirit and know that we are all wishing you well and sending you healthy vibes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My wish is for you to get this crap out of the way now in the winter, kind of like hibernating your body so you can re-birth so to speak, healthy in the spring. I'll be following your progress Pat! Get it done, and be well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Pat
    Your mom just provided me your blog site.
    How are you doing? Can't believe the battle ahead of you, makes my little hip issue, seem like such a bit of trivia.
    Your mom stated that you have the right attitude, both you and Erinn which is fantastic news. Both Jac and I think of you each and every day.
    I will continue to monitor your blog (never followed one before) on a daily basis since I apparently have a lot of free time for the next 3 months.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brian Robitaille19 January 2012 at 21:22

    Hi Pat.
    Your humour in the face of adversity is inspiring. All your friends will no doubt appreciate this blog ... we are pulling for you. As with all things you do, you make even this cancer thing seem...well, easy, somehow. What I mean to say is that you remain gracious even when you are ill and feeling crappy. Call me anytime, or just keep blogging, whatever suits you best. If you need a viewing partner for more really dated motorcycle racing videos, you know I'm always keen for that (I'll bring the chips and diet coke).
    -Brian

    ReplyDelete
  11. We love your Fighting Spirit!!! We are sportin' Star Wars fights Cancer shirts....we have had an overwhelming year of cancer with friends and family. This Blog is great for our Boys to understand. Thinking of you and Praying for you Lots!!! Blessings, Katie and the Quinte West Ireland Boys

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pat. You are an inspiration to all. Young and old, healthy and not so healthy.Your fighting spirit is the model counter-attack that will deliver a powerful blow to your ailment. Courage! Robi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Pat,

    Love...Love... Love this blog what a GREAT idea, I have read and am happy you have found this way to share! Dude a bag is not bad not bad at all... :-) we miss your smile at work the project looks great! Remember Pac Man rocks!!!! HUGS and Prayers for you... hope to come see you soon ok?
    LJ

    ReplyDelete