Monday 18 June 2012

3rd Chemo Tomorrow

We just got back from the cottage last night.  We've been twice since I last wrote.  We're trying to take advantage of the breaks in medical appointments whenever we can and so far the weather has been cooperating.  This week I have four days in a row of medical stuff.  Pretty typical. 

This past week was my good week as the chemo side effects tend to subside after six days.  I was feeling good until Friday.  We planned to head up that night after Kate's soccer.  Then I got sick. 


This is why I got my chemo moved from
Thursday to Tuesday.  Kate started playing
and we get shafted with Friday night games.
Now, with the chemo bottle removed on
Thursdays, there's a hope I may be feeling
well enough to attend instead of only
being able to go every second week
(non-chemo weeks).
 
When you're on chemo, your immune system is pretty much reduced to zero resistance.  Maggie had a runny nose for a few days and then I got a wicked sore throat on Friday and extreme fatigue on Friday afternoon.  Instead of packing for the cottage, I slept.  Erinn, once again, did all the packing but at least this time I was able to drive.  On Saturday at the cottage, I slept some more but by Sunday I had recovered enough to feel 80% which is as good as I've felt in the last many months.


 This morning, after bloodwork, we went to an appointment with the urologist.  I've never been known to have a bladder of steel but the surgery made it smaller than ever.  I'm still healing from the surgery and the radiation and chemo makes it even worse.  I'm told most healing will happen over the next two years so I'm glad there's hope.  We'll see how things are in another six months.


It's a pain not being able to swim at the cottage.  We ordered a swimming sort of wrap thing for my arm but the incision on my ass hasn't fully healed from the surgery.  It was nearly healed but the chemo made it worse and it hasn't been able to gain any ground.  Due to this I didn't want to expose it to lake water.  I'll ask my surgeon on Wednesday if swimming in the saltwater pool at home is okay.



Erinn has been changing my dressing on my ass daily for the last two months now.  I affectionately call it "Packing my Fudge".  She doesn't find that amusing.



Myself (#48) and TEAM SHOULDERCHECK friend Alan Burns at
my last race which was Shannonville in 2009.  The Canadian
Superbike season opener kicks off this weekend at Shannonville.
Stay glued to your TV sets for the six month tape delay or
check out the next day results at http://www.csbk.ca/


1 comment:

  1. Looks like I'm passing you on the Outside in that Picture! At least that is how I will remember it until we race again!

    ReplyDelete