Saturday 9 June 2012

Good News

I got two pieces of good news right before my second chemo treatment.  First off, I begged my chemo doctor to lower my dose of chemo and, once I described my symptoms, she agreed.  Looks like that quantity of drugs for my weight was just too much for my virgin drug-free body to handle.  She has lowered my oxaliplatin by 15% and the fluorouracil by 10%.  However, to counteract the tingling hands I now get two 30 minute injections of calcium and magnesium.  Hmm...sounds so natural like I'm going to a health spa.  I'll take cucumbers over my eyes if I can dump the oxaliplatin or fluorouracil.

The bottle came off this morning and, so far, my symptoms of the 2nd chemo are far reduced from the first go-round.  I'm not as tired and only my left hand is pins and needles and very temperature sensitive.  I've also discovered that lukewarm drinks are really too cold for me to drink as I get a lump in my throat and slight pins and needles in my mouth.  I know from last time the temperature sensitivity will wear away in a few days.  I'm just glad not to be in bed for five days straight with a sixth day of feeling 50% like last time.  I'm optimistic this round will be better.


Now that I'm on chemo I have to rinse my mouth with Club Soda
every four hours until...September.

My chapped lips are much better as well.  My appetite is reduced but I feel okay so long as I can nap.

The other good news is my ostomy nurse, who visits twice per week, has declared me free to do the colostomy stuff without her.  That's great as it no longer obligates me to be home for her visits twice a week.  Now I just have my once a week PICC line visit to either disconnect the bottle or change my dressing.  Phew.  From three home nurse visits per week to just one!

Because of this, there's an opening in the calendar and tomorrow we're off to the cottage with the kids for three days.  Somebody pinch me!

3 comments:

  1. Have a great time at the cottage Patrick and don't forget you are always welcome for a tour on the river if you feel up to it. We are overdue for a visit.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pat. Looks like you picked a good 3 days of weather for the cottage. I think it's time for another Lunch date real Soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy Pat.

    Kevin S.

    ReplyDelete