Monday 20 August 2012

Another Setback


I had another setback on Friday. 

But first, Thursday was the end of our cottage vacation and it was great.  Unfortunately, I started getting sick on Thursday and my feet were killing me from the chemo.  By the time we got home Thursday evening, I had to go straight to bed and I left Erinn to unpack the car and put the kids to bed.  It was painful even to walk into the house.

I got a really bad sore throat at the cottage from our 5 year old and my fever hit 99 F.  I called my chemo doctor the next day to say my feet were on fire and I had to stop taking the chemo pills.  The nurse called back and agreed that I need to take 7 days of rest from the pills.  By the way, I have a fever of 99 F and my throat is sore.  I was hoping to spend the day in bed.

"Get to the hospital."
"Can't I just rest in bed?  I'm sure I'll be better tomorrow."
"You might die."
"Okay, you've got my attention."

Boy, let me tell you, you don't wait in Emergency at all when you have a Cancer Gold Card.  It's like Elite status with Air Canada but better because you not only get immediate service but you get a private room complete with a double glass door airlock system.  And a gorgeous blonde nurse.  She took blood from both my arms.  I didn't mind.

After the nurse was done my saint of a gorgeous wife showed up.  And she truly deserves saint status as I talked her into parking the car for free about a 15 minute walk away from where we were.  For the record, she also dropped me off at the door AND moved the car twice during our six hour stay.  What a saint!

They sent me home with antibiotics, likely as a precaution.  The antibiotics have a note saying one of the side effects is they may cause diarrhea.  I'd like to rewrite that to "They will cause you to shit your brains out!!!"

My fever subsided the next day and my coughing is almost gone.  This is another setback on the chemo schedule.  With five more days I would have completed Chemo 5 out of 8 but now it'll be another week and a half before I'm done Chemo 5.

3 comments:

  1. I moved the car three times. Three.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, Resa & Henry21 August 2012 at 06:22

    Erinn, you rock.

    Pat, we're sorry to hear about the setback and hope you're back to 'cancer normal' soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin definitely rocks!! Things just have to get better - no more setbacks.. Take good care and let me know when you feel up to a visit.
    elizabeth :-))

    ReplyDelete