Thursday 17 May 2012

Clear the Roads---I'm DRIVING!!!

And the roads are so much wider now that I've started using front lawns and sidewalks as well.

Yep, I've turned a corner.  It's been nearly a week now that I've been able to stand and walk around without feeling faint.  This is good.  I still can't sit in a chair but yesterday I tried driving and I found that sitting in the driver's seat was way easier than sitting in a chair.  I can support a lot of my weight with my thighs and my right arm on the arm console.  It's pretty much perfect although I haven't gone beyond Orleans.  A long driving trip for me might be to drive into Ottawa and we ain't ready for that yet.

I also tied my own shoes just today.  It was a bit of a stretch but Erinn wasn't around to tie my shoes.  What was I to do?  Thankfully, she had already put my socks on for me that morning. 

The walking has become easier and, due to time constraints, I'm only doing one 2-3 km walk.  That's plenty.  My bowels are working fine now (I had about four rough days after the sleepless popcorn night) and I'm getting used to things.  I've started introducing whole wheat bread and so far no pain.  I eat an orange every morning and I may venture into more fresh fruit territory soon.  Although, I'm cautious.  Everything I ate after the popcorn caused me a lot of pain so I don't want to overload on fruit right away but I sure miss it.  As a vegetarian, I've become pretty sick of white bread and eggs. 

For Father's Day, I hope to be able to sit in a chair.


My in-laws were over last week to open our pool.  It was greatly appreciated.  Just in one week my
mobility has greatly improved.  I still can't lift anything but I can walk without fainting.
We've had sunny days but I won't turn on the pool heater until our overnight lows are in double digits.
Of course, that didn't slow down Kate and Maggie who each took turns running down the steps
up to their shoulders in 59F (15C) water and then shrieking about how cold it was.
This weekend looks great.  Time to fire up the heat!


1 comment:

  1. Hey Pat, I'm just catching up after a month-long mountaineering expedition in Peru. After reading your posts, I feel kinda' silly whining to Brian about my bad sunburn. It's good to hear that you're still on top of your game, relishing the small victories.

    ReplyDelete