Sunday 13 May 2012

Happy Mother's Day

It's been four weeks since I had the surgery and I'm definitely feeling much better.  Now I understand what the surgeon meant when he said it'll take 3 months to heal up from it.  I still can't put my own socks on or tie my shoes but now, with the nicer weather, I skip the socks and I can do up the velcro on my sandals so I'm pretty much self-sufficient.  I still can't sit which also means I can't drive but maybe we'll have some progress on that in the next couple of weeks.

Last week my JP Drain was removed as were the sutures on my backside.  What a relief.  I feel more human.  Just having the JP Drain removed was a blessing.  Plus, two days ago was the first time I was able to walk around without feeling faint or light-headed.  I may have turned a corner. 

I've also stopped losing weight.  I've lost 14 lbs in the last four weeks.  I'd be happier if it was 20 lbs but I was feeling pretty faint so I'm just as happy to stop here.

I got a voicemail that my chemo will start May 23rd.  I'll go into the hospital and they'll inject me for hours then hook me up to a bottle.  I'll wear the bottle for 48 hrs at a time in two week rotations.  I understand it'll tire me out for one week out of every two weeks but I hope that one week of tiring me out is really only 4 days.  That'll mean 10 days of feeling okay.  The chemo is only 8 treatments (4 months) so I should wrap up around Sept 1st, barring any illness or a low white blood cell count.  I'd be pretty lucky if I was healthy on those counts so I expect the chemo might not end as per that schedule.   It may get bumped out a few weeks.



Erinn took us to M&M Meat Shop yesterday for their annual Crohn's and Colitis fundraiser BBQ. 
100% of all money collected (collected, not raised) goes to fight Crohn's.  Our dear friend
Shannon has suffered from Crohn's since she was a teenager. 
Hey, they even had veggie burgers and veggie dogs!
http://www.mmmeatshops.com/en/aboutmm/donations.asp


The kids are waiting downstairs with gifts for mommy.  I think they understood not to wake Mommy this morning.

It's 11 am and Erinn is still sleeping.  I'd say I've done well on giving her what she wants this Mother's Day.

P.S.  Today is also our 17th wedding anniversary.  We did nothing to celebrate it but we had a fantastic day in the backyard in the sun with the kids.  Nice, warm 24 C day. 

1 comment:

  1. I love that picture of the girls Pat, Katie looks more like you every day :)

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete