Tuesday 17 July 2012

Chemo 4 Underway

My white blood cell counts rebounded and I got the green light last week to start chemo on the pills.  Two milestones here: Chemo 4 marks the halfway point (well, technically, after I'm done the two weeks of pills I'm at halfway for Chemo) and I actually rode my bicycle to Shoppers Drug Mart to pick up the pills.  It's only about 3 kms but it's the first time I've ridden my bicycle all year.  The surgery I had in April was all in the pelvis area so, despite the fact that I've been bicycle commuting to work for the last two years, I didn't dare get on my bicycle until now.  So, on July 10th, three months after my surgery, I was able to ride my bicycle.  That's progress.

Last week I had four medical appointments and one scheduled chemo pill pickup on a certain day.  That's almost five medical appointments in a week.  I've never broken the record of five but I've tied it a few times.  Hopefully in August things will be less busy.

I've been feeling good for seven days now.  I feel about 75%.  It was almost going to be 14 days of feeling good but my first day on the chemo pills were pretty rough.  This is like an episode of The Simpsons where the sign of "14 days Accident Free" has to be reset to zero all the time.  I think I'm not going to make it to 8 days in a row of feeling good because this morning I woke up with my feet in great pain when I walk.  It's on my list of side effects.  I have to call my doctor.  Thankfully, it only hurts when I walk but it hurts like hell.


We spent another weekend at the cottage and, because I had been feeling
good for a few days in a row, I talked Erinn into staying there alone.  She's
really enjoying it.  I'm at home with both kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment