Tuesday 10 April 2012

Day before Cleansing Wednesday

That's what the girlfriend calls it.  Cleansing Wednesday.  How appropriate.  Tomorrow I will have my last breakfast and then drink a special drink and get rid of all my breakfast.  And everything else.  All day.  And then I'll drink more of the special drink around supper but I will not eat supper.  I will celebrate cleansing.

It'll be my third time doing this in recent months.  No big deal.  I have lots to watch on TV.  The TV is conveniently located near the bathroom.

My surgery is on Thursday.  Tomorrow I call the hospital to find out what time the surgery is but I expect it'll be an early morning admission.  I was thinking that when I wake up from the surgery I can have a good meal but I forgot that I won't be able to eat any food for a couple of days after the surgery.  Oh well, I'll stare at the ceiling to get my mind off food.

On the weekend I rode my KLR 650 dual-purpose bike up to the cottage for a solo overnighter.  I bought the bike off a friend a couple of years ago for an upcoming trip to Labrador (about 1,000 kms of gravel roads to Happy Valley-Goose Bay) then ferry over to St. Anthony, Newfoundland for the smooth asphalt ride home.  I had it on the radar for 2013 or 2014 but we'll see what transpires.  At any rate, it was my first time riding this bike on the highway and it'll do the trick just fine.  I searched the internet for an interesting gravel road route beforehand and I turned the routine 2 hr cottage trip into a more interesting 4 hour trip.

Spring had arrived there as well.  To my surprise, I installed the water pump and I had hot, running water an hour later.  That was about a month ahead of schedule.  I've been bitten before by thinking everything has thawed and gone up in early May only to find out the ground was still frozen.  As I lifted and installed the pump, I also realized I won't be able to lift something that heavy for quite a few months but hopefully I can still lift in the future or I'll have to get both kids and the wife to install the water pump in the future.


The Paugon Dam near Low, Quebec.  Not at all on my usual
route to the cottage.



The detour made things a lot more interesting for me.
 
The cottage is only 10 kms from this covered bridge in
Fort Coulonge, Quebec.


My dad and I built this cottage 20 years ago.  In November
2011, I was in the lawyer's office to transfer ownership to myself.
Done.  I had just bought the cottage.  Two weeks later I
was told I had cancer.  Oops!
I was happy to see the ice didn't take the dock away this year.
I'll sit around here in my wheelchair next month and watch my
dad do some dock levelling.


A sunset like this makes you want to go inside and watch some
AMA Superbike racing on the tube TV.  A friend gave me a VHS tape of Mid-Ohio
races from 2001.  Awesome!  Nicky Hayden, Miguel Duhamel, Eric Bostrom,
Matt Mladin and those perrenial favourites Steve Rapp and Larry Pegram.
Ben Spies was a nobody back then and finished in the 20-something spots
in both races.  Adjust the tracking and away we go.  VHS will never die!!!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Pat
    Glad you enjoyed your ride to the cottage. Ted is enjoying the mags you dropped off on Sat. Thanks again.
    You will be in our thoughts and prayers tomorrow. It will all go well and you'll be back on the road again in no time.
    Eliz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girlfriend??? You'd better not let Erinn know or cancer and surgery will be a cakewalk comparatively speaking!

    ReplyDelete