Tuesday 14 February 2012

My Executive Assistant

It was highly recommended by friends at work that I get someone to accompany me for my cancer appointments.  This is helpful as your head isn't quite in the right frame of mind as you're likely finding out some dizzying facts (ie: you have cancer) and what to expect, how to prepare for tests, etc.  A second set of ears is always good and someone who can take notes during the appointments is always helpful.

This sort of happened on its own and my wife prepared a calendar, took notes at appointments and had questions prepared when we first discovered I had cancer.  I sat there in the doctor's appointments digesting the bad news and unbottoning my pants and bending over a barrel whenever required.  My mother is also a retired nurse so she accompanied us to pretty much every doctor's appointment before the radiation and chemo started.  Between my mother and wife of 16 years, I was in good shape.

My wife calls herself my Executive Assistant.  Pretty funny since she's always made much more money than I have but since we had kids, she hasn't worked in 3 years.  This is a part time job in itself and the cancer treatment is nearly a full time job for me if you include the increased 4 hours of sleep I now require every day.


Happy Valentine's Day, Erinn. 
The kids ate the Smarties so your cupcake is
decorated with my diarrhea pills.
I've filled out a lot of forms during this ordeal and I've kept a copy of everything.  An interesting question that comes up is my past medical history.  When was I last in the hospital and for what.  This includes tonsil removals when I was ten years old and everything in between.  I figured the Ontario Health Card would have a database of all those items.  What a laugh!  There is no such database.  Doctors don't necessarily have copies of reports which they need.  For example, nobody has received my MRI report so I had wisely left the hospital with my own CD copy.  (And, that appointment came, thanks to my Executive Assistant.)  Now we just burn a CD for whatever doctor we're about to see.  That's how they've all gotten my MRI results.  And they all say thanks.  Some other reports, mind you, have made it across to the necessary people.  It is just not a given that necessary reports will make it through to the right people.

Another thing to track (thanks Marg!) is medication taken and reactions.  Thankfully for me, that's been a rather short list.  I hope the list doesn't grow.  But, the point is that there is no database of what has worked for the patient and what hasn't worked.  It is up to the patient to keep track.

Now that I write this, I just remembered I haven't taken my chemo pills.  Oops.  My Executive Assistant has the night off.

6 comments:

  1. Great photo of Erinn :-) Keep up the good work. In the military, we just abbreviate it to EA. Everyone who's anyone has one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pat, I continue to appreciate your updates and your humour. I must , however , for Erinn's sake take exception to the comment about Erinn not having worked in three years !!!! Ha !I think the drugs are affecting your reason and survival skills with that comment.
    Hélène

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pat,
    Sounds like you are very organized and have a great support system in place! That's great! Your sense of humour is terrific! Keep it up!
    Marg

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pic of the Executive - Looks like she is doing a fab job! We are getting informed too! Crazy about our Health System I thought my # to would contain info in some sort of database. You make us all laugh with your witty ways.... Give those "girls" a hug from the Ireland "boys" - Blessings, Katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Last Day of Radiation! We have a date tonight. Not only do I have freezies, I have frozen peas. Oh yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol, love the picture caption Pat, I'm sure that went over well!!

    Glad to see things have gone relatively well so far, hope that continues. Great job on the blog as well.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete