Wednesday 1 February 2012

Radiation Halfway Point

In two hours, I will have crossed the halfway point of my radiation.  Only 2.4 weeks remaining and I can't wait!

On the weekend, a radiation burn developped to the point of it being extremely uncomfortable by Sunday.  On Monday morning, I ran right over to see the nurse after my morning appointment with the gamma rays.  Ahh, cream.  Sooooooo goooooooood.

Funny, the nurse said I should always have had the cream with me.  That's the way I would've preferred but I was specifically told to wait until I burn then make an appointment with the nurse to be told what cream to buy.  I came home and told Erinn I must've misunderstood.  Erinn says no, we were told exactly that.

Funnier thing yesterday when I saw Dr. Kendall, the radiation oncologist.  I told him about the burn and the goodness of the cream.  He looked at my burn and said not to put the cream on for my radiation sessions as I had just done because it amplifies the effect of the radiation and I'll be getting too high of a dose.  Grrrrrr.....  That would've been a good tidbit of info to have when I was told about the cream.  Thankfully, I only had one session like that, merely half an hour before seeing the Doctor.

4 comments:

  1. Learning sooo much...We think/pray for you daily. Thanks for blogging it means so much for us to stay connected to you in this manner. <3 Love the Quinte West Ireland Boys J.P. and Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pat, I know how frustrating it is to get seemingly mixed messages. When my husband was in treatment the only way I could find to deal with it was to take copious notes (on his behalf) and then tell each person that I came in contact with what the previous person had told me, what reactions or symptoms were occurring and so on. It was a real pain at the beginning but it soon became easier as any "disconnects" were quickly identified and dealt with. Do not be at all reluctant to query what you are being told and to compare notes "OK, so you are giving me these instructions, but during my session I was told this. Which is correct?" At the time when you are least prepared to do it, you have to be your own best advocate. No one will know more about you, your symptoms, your reactions and so on, than you. This is not a criticism of the system but just a recognition that the system is so huge that it often cannot handle the individuals in the way that we each would like. I think of you often and follow your progress with great interest and care and concern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian Robitaille8 February 2012 at 21:52

    Pat, your restraint is remarkable! I would have lowered myself to profanity by now! Shiree says ditto.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat Jessica and I experienced that same communication "mixups" during her treatment. Like Marg I kept copious notes each day and asked lots of questions. Being your own advocate is definitely good advice.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete