Wednesday 8 February 2012

Radiation DOES Burn!

Well, the burning has begun.  On the weekend it was noticeably worse and continues on the worst side of better every day.  I only have seven sessions left but I'm told it'll get worse a week or two after my radiation is complete.  Ugghh.  And probably every day until then.

A few days ago I made a mistake and, because I'd been feeling fine aside from my radiation burn I indulged in a couple of bowls of Raisin Bran, one of my favourite breakfast meals.  MISTAKE!!!  It was Revenge Of The Pinecones all over again.  Ugghhh.  I've seen Jack Bauer extract information from people with things at hand like the the plugged in cord from a bedside lamp to find out where the nuclear bomb is but I recommend Raisin Bran and a radiated rectal tumour next time.  Far more effective.  Just feed them the Raisin Bran then wait 4 to 6 hours.  They'll sing like canaries.


Maggie surprises her parents with the delights of an empty cardboard box.
After one week of empty box play, she finally added some toys.

And then, this morning, a similar occurrence.  I didn't know why until Erinn pointed out that the raisins I've poured over my oatmeal will do the same thing.  D'uhhhh...I'll have to read the pamphlet the Dietician gave us.  I think on the Dietician visit, I learned from her and she learned from me.  I would've thought a Dietician would know there was caffeine in Diet Colas but, hey, she learned something from me.  I learned the difference between soluble and insoluble fibre.  Now I will embrace it!

Only seven days of radiation and chemo left.  I saw the radiation doctor yesterday and he noted my burn is bad but I'd stay on the same cream I have until it gets worse.  They have some other creams I can use but they'll keep them at bay until I need the stronger stuff.  Good enough.  So long as I know there's something stronger for when the burn increases.  Because, he says it will get worse.  He told me to get a Sitz basin.  I now have one.  It, like the pills tray, magically ages you 40 years when you use it.

Hey, on the weekend, I also flirt with diarrhea.  So far, the pills they gave me have kept that in check.  I'm lucky on that and the queasiness returns but, again, the Gravol-type pills have kept that in check.  Funny, if the Gravol-type pills don't cut it, then I have these syringes that I jam deep into my muscle.  I didn't ask which one but I should get a book called Self Medication for Dummies.


7 comments:

  1. Brian Robitaille8 February 2012 at 22:05

    Shiree and I will demonstrate our solidarity by refusing Raisin Bran cereal. Except for breakfast. And late night snacks. Otherwise, no Raisin Bran shall pass our lips.

    Call me anytime for anything, Pat.

    -Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I should be honest and say I have been serving you pinecones at dinner. I'll stop. After I have used up what is in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat welcome to the "Fat asses who have used the family Sitz" Club. Your membership number is #3 (and your dues are overdue)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh right...maybe I should also have told you that the sitz bath was used. Thanks Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pat, A bit of a "practical" message, along with every encouragement to keep up your positive attitude! It will take you far!
    If the burning gets to the point where dressings are needed (hope not, but it might!) then please ask about a dressing called "Mepitel". It is something that can go over the burn and does not have to be removed for several days - the area can be cleaned and disenfected with it on. It is used with burn patients as it will not peel off healing skin like a standard dressing will when it is being changed. It is expensive so staff might not offer it up on their own. Here is the website http://www.dressings.org/Dressings/mepitel.html. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Pat, between the pill tray and the Sitz bath I guess that makes you some 120-ish years of age. Maybe you can reverse the process by purchasing Justin Bieber albums or something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pine Cone Agony (colloquially referred to as PCA) is a well-understood condition, yet there are few remedies. Perhaps I can offer a home-grown solution. I have a certain fondness for Indian food and hot peppers in my sandwiches, though some parts of me are decidedly against said cuisine. Though my own tribulations are several orders of magnitude lesser than your own, you may experience similar relief. Some years ago, I installed a Mr. Freezie dispenser in the bathroom. I'll just leave it at that. The rest is left as an exercise for the reader.

    ReplyDelete