Friday 3 February 2012

Three Weeks DONE!!!

I just had my 15th radiation session this morning so I only have two weeks left (ten sessions).  I'm counting off every day.

On Mommy's night out, Daddy and the girls watched Monsters Inc.
Kate put on her favourite Monster costume for the occassion.


I've been feeling good the last few days and even was able to go out for lunch a couple of times with friends.  I'm almost walking on eggshells because my immune system is down quite a bit and both kids have been taking turns being sick but, so far, I haven't caught anything.

I'm also doing well with the side effects.  I only had one flirtation with diarrhea last weekend but I took pills and that kept things under control.  Fingers crossed about the future. 

I gave Dr. Kendall, the radiation oncologist, polite feedback last Tuesday when he surprised me about that tidbit of info about the cream.  I spoke with him about the full bladder thing and he admitted they failed me on communication.  He is pretty concerned about it.  When the bladder is full, it pushes things up so that my bowel is moved out of the way of the radiation beam.  As that was not the case for my first nine sessions, I am at a much greater risk of diarrhea.  All he can do now, he says, is monitor me. 

The weekend is also good because I'm not on chemo pillls when I don't get radiation.  I met with the chemo doctor on Wednesday and, since all is well, I don't have to see her again until May, a few weeks after my April surgery.  I basically have ten days left to stay on this treatment plan without them pulling the plug due to side effects.  Fingers crossed!

My Monday to Friday intake of chemo pills.
This pill box allows me to get Senior's Discounts everywhere.

Surprisingly, I'm not on any pills aside from the chemo pills I take after breakfast and after supper.  It's actually four identical pills each time just due to the small size of them to meet my recommended quantity.  I suppose it would sound better if it was one pill in the morning and one in the afternoon but the pill would have to be big enough for a horse.  And, hey, I swallow these.

The pill box has an amazing effect on the person taking them.  It's identical to getting behind the wheel of my parents' motorhome last summer--it instantly ages you 40 years!!!  I hear 41 is the new 81.

I was worried about weight loss.  A friend from work went through Ovarian Cancer all through 2011 and she lost 20 lbs when she didn't really have any weight to lose.  I normally weigh 190 lbs when 180 lbs is a trim size for me so I packed on the pounds all through December.  It wasn't hard to do with Christmas thrown in there.  I haven't really lost any weight or lost any hair yet. 

196 lbs at the end of 3 weeks of Radiation and
Chemotherapy.  Ready to lose a dozen pounds! 
But let's stop there...

5 comments:

  1. When you wake up from your nap we are going to have ice cream sundaes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pat. Wishing you the best.

    Interestingly enough I stumbled across your Blog through the OTT-motorcycle site.

    Paul Godin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pat,
    You look great! I hope things continue to go well for you! I am glad that you gave Dr. Kendall some feedback on your experience. I'm sure it will help other patients! "Keep on, keepin on!"
    Marg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brian Robitaille8 February 2012 at 21:57

    OK, so far, Shiree and I have burst out laughing at least once per blog. Who knew chemo is so much fun?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to try that seniors discount thing, oh wait, I am a senior..
    Keep on smiling- I have a good chuckle with each blog I read.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete